Yes, the iPad can print to most printers, in fact any Apple “i” device such as the iPod or iPhone can print as long as it is running OS 4.2 or above. Current apps from Apple and other vendors support printing of pictures and documents, but you need a printer the iPad can talk to.
Apple created software they call AirPrint for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod wireless printing. The problem with iPad printing is not every printer is a WiFi AirPrint printer. Fortunately several different people have created solutions to allow your PC to act as an AirPrint printer, so you should be able to print to any printer attached to your PC.
First and foremost you need to have a WiFi network in your home or office where you are going to print and your iPad must be able to connect to the network. Then the WiFi printer must be on the same network, or attached to a Mac or Windows PC that is also on the same network, with either a wired connection or a wireless connection. Below are the options you then have:
iPad WiFi Printing Directly To a Supported AirPrint Printer
- Purchase a WiFi AirPrint compatible printer, for a list of supported printers from Apple click here.
AirPrint Compatible Printers
- If you have a HP WiFi printer, you can download the HP iPrint Photo app from the app store, click here for a list of supported printers. You can also scan pictures and documents to your iPad using this app.
- If you have an Epson WiFi All-in-One printer, you can download the Epson iPrint app from the app store and print web pages, documents, and PDF files. For a list of supported printers click here. You can also scan pictures and documents to your iPad using this app.
iPad Printing To Printer Attached To Your PC For Free
- If you have a Mac PC and you want to allow AirPrint to print to the printer connected to your PC for FREE, then you want to load AirPrint Activate by clicking here and following the instructions.
- If you have a Windows PC and you want to allow AirPrint to print to the printer connected to your PC for FREE, then you load Jaxov by clicking here and following the instructions.
iPad Printing To Printer Attached To Your PC Using A Purchased Application
- If you would rather use paid software to print to your Mac’s printer, then you can use Printopia which is $19.95 and can be found by clicking here.
- If you would rather use a paid software to print to your Window’s or Mac’s printer, you can use Finger Print which is $9.99 Windows / $7.99 Mac by clicking here.